Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Our Story

Just like the heroine of Truman Capote's classic novella, Holly Golightly (the Chihuahua) came from humble beginnings into a life of fabulosity.

Holly was found wandering the streets of Texas with her two brothers and taken to a high kill shelter on October 16, 2012. She was rescued just a few days later by the Humane Society of New York, who brought them to their New York City shelter just days before Hurricane Sandy tore through the East Coast.

Despite the fact that she was starving and abandoned, she managed to Smize in her intake photo.

I arrived at the shelter on November 3rd, hoping that by taking the plunge on taking home a furry companion I could free up some space for the many animals that had been displaced during the storm. I filled out a very detailed questionnaire that asked about my lifestyle, plans for care, and what would describe my perfect pet. In this section, I wrote "happy go lucky."

After a rigorous interview, they reviewed my preferences so they could bring out the pups they felt were my best "match" (side note: why does this service not exist for boyfriends?). As soon as they read "happy go lucky," they said, they knew they had the pet for me. 

At only 5 months old and 11lbs, baby Holly was all ears and long scrawny legs, and far more resembled a baby deer than any puppy I had ever seen. As soon as they handed her to me, she started chewing on my Henri Bendel leopard cashmere scarf, and we established our first (okay, only) household rule: No Chewing Cashmere or Purses. She has obeyed this rule ever since, though I wish I had the foresight to add throw pillows and leather chairs to the list!

Holly on her first day home. She later chewed up this chair, pillow, and blanket! Adorably, of course.

The Humane Society does not let you take home animals the same day you see them, but I got a call the next day saying they had spoken with my references and I could come get Holly that afternoon! I panicked because I had exactly no supplies, and ended up bringing her home in a cab along with the 100 Wee Wee Pads, water filtering bowl, and 5 toys I had purchased on my way to pick her up. 

Holly walked into the new apartment and immediately jumped in every chair, then settled into the leather one with an attitude that seemed to say, "this will do. I am the Princess here."

And she has continued to be the Princess every day since. Holly Golightly (the person) would be terribly proud!

Until Next Time, Darlings!



No comments:

Post a Comment