Saturday, January 18, 2014

Paw-sitively Fabulous: Decorating for the Dog Lover

Holly and I are very excited to have signed a lease on a new one bedroom apartment. Currently we are living in a studio, so with the extra space comes extra design opportunities!

As an avid devotee of HGTV, I am never one to shy away from a DIY project or a home decor Pinterest page. I have spent the past year combing through the web looking for the perfect items to dress my new apartment, from throw pillows to picture frames to door stops. Put simply, I have never met a decorative accessory I dislike.

That said, it can be difficult as a dog and design lover to find ways to incorporate your pet into your decor without things getting too cheesy or theme-y. Below are some of my favorite decorative items that will reflect your puppy love without sacrificing style!

Heather Galler Art Chihuahua Tile:



A dear friend picked up a collection of these colorful tiles for me for Christmas, and I can't wait to use them in my new place. The artist has an Etsy page full of bright portraits of a variety of breeds and species on products ranging from shower curtains to posters to throw pillows. I will use the tiles representing my animal pals as coasters in my living room, where I am planning on featuring bright, bold patterns and colors reminiscent of the Southwest.

Dean Russo Art Chihuahua Print:


Also being featured in the living room is this Dean Russo Art Chihuahua Print, which I first discovered on Joss & Main and fell so in love with it I tracked it down on the artist's website after the sale had ended. The Brooklyn based artist also offers up portraits of Pit Bulls, German Shepherds, Bull Terriers, and Huskies on a variety of products. Each print comes individually signed by the artist, making an 8x10 a steal at $25. I plan on framing mine in a Pottery Barn frame with an extra large mat so it really stands out on the wall. 

Story People "Chihuahua" Story:


Story People has been a favorite source of art for me for many years. They create whimsical, irreverent "stories" featuring hand lettering and a wacky picture on crisp white mats. As soon as I got Holly, I knew I needed to add the "Chihuahua" story to my collection, the story reads: "I remember once I went to my great-grandmother's house. It was a big white house & it always smelled like slightly burned toast & raspberry jam. She had a picture of Jesus on the wall in her living room. She told me his eyes would follow you around when you walked. I told a friend about it a while ago. He nodded & said he used to have a Chihuahua that did the same thing." Knowing the way Holly looks at me when I have even a crumb of food in my possession, I can certainly relate!

Vintage Kandy Dog Teepee:


This is by far the piece I am most excited to purchase for my apartment. Etsy store Vintage Kandy sells pet beds in the shapes of teepees, eliminating the concern about tucking a ratty pet bed somewhere it won't clash with your decor. I was inspired by my friend Molly's beautiful canvas teepee in her children's playroom, and I immediately scoured the internet to see if a similar creation existed for Holly. The pet bed is ideally suited for pups and kitties 25lbs and under, and features a cushion upholstered in outdoor fabric for easy upkeep and a heavy duty canvas shell. The $95 price tag is on par with high quality pet beds, though this one goes above and beyond in terms of uniqueness and style. 

Earth Studio Metal Art Chihuahua Bookends:


In case you haven't noticed, my decorating style is heavily influenced by the bright colors and bold prints of the Southwest, with a dash of pop art whimsy. These bookends from Etsy store Earth Studio Metal Art combine the best of both worlds, with whimsical Chihuahuas cut from rough metal adding a fun touch to any bookshelf. A far cry from the standard ceramic doggie bookends, these are sure to be a conversation starter and to last in my home for many years to come.

Until Next Time, Darlings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment