Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Paw-sitively Fabulous: The Puppy Photo Shoot

When you are a person of a certain age, there is a sudden shift in the content of your Facebook News Feed. Photos from wild weekends and late night parties are replaced with posed professional shots of engagements, weddings, and babies.

It struck me that my life with Holly was something I wanted to commemorate with a photoshoot. Rescuing Holly was a defining moment in my New York life, so why not spring for some professional photos to celebrate and remember that forever? I decided to borrow from some of my friend's photoshoots and do a "One Year" session with Holly celebrating her first birthday.

There are plenty of photographers in Manhattan that will offer professional in-studio sessions for you and your pet, ranging anywhere from $300-$1000 depending on the number of photos, length of the session, and extras you want to receive. I decided I would prefer an on-location photo shoot with Holly, since we love spending weekends exploring the city and could highlight some of our favorite spots. There were fewer photographers who seemed to offer this specific service with pet photography in mind (likely because a studio is a more controlled environment and animals can be unpredictable), so after researching several photographers offering deals on Groupon, we decided to work with Amber at Amber Nicole Photos.

Amber was the perfect choice because as a fellow animal lover she was patient with Holly and was quick to snap the perfect shot (since pups can go from perfectly posed to OH MY GOD A SQUIRREL in about a millisecond, this was essential). Even though our original plan to start at Bethesda Fountain was disrupted by a parade closing that portion of the park down, we had a blast travelling all through Central Park and to the Museum of Natural History on the Upper West Side, where we got some of my favorite images of the day.


My best advice for having photos done with your fur baby is to have fun with it, and don't be afraid to go all out! Holly and I wore our matching Ralph Lauren, and I accessorized with an Alex and Ani bangle with a letter "H" and a custom dog bone shaped necklace stamped with Holly's name from Etsy (similar styles here).

Having high quality photos of my pup has allowed me to creatively and tastefully incorporate her into my home and office decor (look for a later post on chic pup-centric decorating), and I know I will enjoy them for years to come.


Or at least until our next photoshoot. I'm thinking a Breakfast At Tiffany's theme?

Until Next Time, Darlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment